IDIBELL is looking for Postdoctoral candidate with a background in cancer, interested to apply to CRIS Out-back Fellowship Programme (https://criscancer.org/es/outback/). If awarded the candidate will be hosted for a period of three years in Dr. Rubert lab (Wageningen University and Research) and the fourth year in Dr. Guiu lab (IDIBELL).
IDIBELL is a research center that integrates the biomedical research of the Bellvitge University Hospital (HUB), the Catalan Institute of Oncology (ICO), and the University of Barcelona in the Bellvitge Campus (UB), and the Viladecans Hospital (HV). The research focuses of IDIBELL are cancer, neuroscience, translational medicine and regenerative medicine. Research, innovation and society are the pivots on which researchers work every day in order to improve the quality of life of citizens.
IDIBELL is located in L’Hospitalet de Llobregat, south of Barcelona. It is a member of the Campus of International Excellence of the University of Barcelona (HUBc) and Research Centers of Catalonia (CERCA). In 2009, it became one of the first five Spanish research centers accredited as a health research institute by the Health Institute Carlos III. In 2015, the European Commission recognized IDIBELL with the ‘HR Excellence in Research’ award, which identifies IDIBELL as a provider and supporter of a stimulating research work environment.
About the laboratory
If the fellowship is awarded the candidate will join a multidisciplinary project in two different labs:
Dr. Rubert: We model diet-gut microbiota-host interactions in vitro & in vivo to study the diversity and function of the microbiome and its role in promoting gut health. Our projects bring together food scientists, nutritionists, biochemists, computer scientists, and clinicians to address fundamental research questions and study the crosstalk of different intestinal cells with gut microbial metabolites and/or microorganisms.
Dr. Guiu: We aim to improve quality of life for cancer survivors, which suffer side effects of radiotherapy including an acute and chronic inflammation of the intestine. In order to achieve this goal, we study the cellular and molecular mechanisms involved in epithelial recovery after radiation injury. Furthermore we study the establishment of the chronic radiation-induced enteritis with a particular attention to the epithelial-immune cell crosstalk.
About the role
The candidate will apply with Dr. Rubert and Dr. Guiu to CRIS Out-back fellowship program with a research plan that aims to identify and correlate specific gut microbial metabolites with colorectal cancer progression. Later on, to understand the mechanisms of action of these metabolites we will use state of the art approaches including intestinal organoids and single cell sequencing.
- Bachelor and master’s in health sciences Biochemistry, Biology, Biotechnology, Biomedicine, etc
- Experience in stem cell biology, cancer and interest in epithelial tissues
- Background in cancer
- First author publications
Education and training
- Bachelor and master’s in health sciences: Biochemistry, Biology, Biotechnology, Biomedicine, etc
- B2 proficiency in TOEFL or adequate proven English test
- PhD in biomedical science
- Relevant work experience studying gut health
- Metabolomics & multi-omics data processing
- Good command of the English language
We will value, but not required
- Expertise in scRNAseq
- Experience working with organoids
- Substantial hands-on experience molecular techniques and mass spectrometry
- Metagenomics shotgun (Taxonomy and function)
- SHIME (Simulator of Human Intestinal Microbial Ecosystem)
- Nº of positions: 1
- Start date: 01/05/2022
- Contract duration: 4 years if awarded
- Estimated annual gross salary: salary is commensurate with qualifications and consistent with our pay ranges
We provide a highly stimulating working environment with state-of-the-art infrastructures, and unique professional development opportunities.
IDIBELL is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the implementation of open, transparent and merit-based recruitment (OTM-R) practices.
We offer and promote diverse and inclusive working conditions and applicants are made free from any discrimination based on age, national original, gender, religion, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity.
We are committed to reconciliation of work and family life such as employees can benefit from flexible working hours.
All applications must include the following:
- A motivation letter addressed to Jordi Guiu and Josep Rubert.
- A CV including contact information
- Contact details of two referees
- Pre-selection: The pre-selection process will consist on an eligibility check based on qualifications and expertise reflected on the candidate’s CV.
- Interview: Best positioned, pre-selected candidates may be called to arrange an interview. Candidates will be interviewed by the hiring manager and an ad hoc selection panel.
- Formal offer letter: Once identified, the People Management Unit will send a job offer to the successful candidate indicating start date, salary, working conditions, and any additional relevant details.
Deadline: Please submit your application by 27 June 2021.
Data protection notice
IDIBELL ensures that applicants’ personal data are processed as required by the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Spanish Law 3/2018 on Data Protection. Personal data is processed solely for the purpose of the selection procedure.
The ‘HR Excellence in Research’ award represents IDIBELL’s commitment to the implementation of Human Resources policies, which oversee the attracting and development of talent in an open, transparent, and based on personal merit, in alignment with the principles of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment Researchers (Charter and Code).