IDIBELL is looking for a Junior Scientist to join the Program for the Clinical Translation in Regenerative Medicine of Catalonia (P-CMR[C])
IDIBELL is a research center that integrates the biomedical research of the Bellvitge University Hospital (HUB), the Catalan Institute of Oncology (ICO), and the University of Barcelona in the Bellvitge Campus (UB), and the Viladecans Hospital (HV). The research focuses of IDIBELL are cancer, neuroscience, translational medicine and regenerative medicine. Research, innovation and society are the pivots on which researchers work every day in order to improve the quality of life of citizens.
IDIBELL is located in L’Hospitalet de Llobregat, south of Barcelona. It is a member of the Campus of International Excellence of the University of Barcelona (HUBc) and Research Centers of Catalonia (CERCA). In 2009, it became one of the first five Spanish research centers accredited as a health research institute by the Health Institute Carlos III. In 2015, the European Commission recognized IDIBELL with the ‘HR Excellence in Research’ award, which identifies IDIBELL as a provider and supporter of a stimulating research work environment.
About the research group
The Program for the Clinical Translation in Regenerative Medicine of Catalonia is a transversal program whose mission is to conduct research of excellence for advancing the clinical translation of strategies of regenerative medicine based on the use of pluripotent stem cells. The candidate will work in the Pancreas Regeneration: Pancreatic Progenitors and their Niche group. The most important strategic lines of this group are to develop therapies to maintain normoglycemia in diabetic patients to avoid or reduce T1D complications and to develop regenerative therapies in human diabetes, either through manipulation of pancreatic exocrine tissue from donors in vitro, and their subsequent transplantation, or through in vivo or in vitro manipulation of patient’s pancreatic duct cells.
About the role
The selected person will, on a part time basis, work on the pancreatic niche reconstruction ex vivo. Type 1 diabetes is caused by an autoimmune destruction of pancreatic β cells. These cells are the source of insulin, a hormone required for the regulation of blood glucose levels. One approach to recovering glucose homeostasis would be to induce restoration of β-cell mass, either by replacement with exogenous cells or by regeneration from endogenous progenitors, but the existence of such progenitors is still controversial. This lab is focus in the role of ductal cells as pancreatic progenitors in order to develop new therapies for diabetes treatment. On the other hand the lab is also studying the niche required for pancreatic progenitor maintenance.
- At least 5 years of experience as investigator in the related areas of the research group: pancreatic organoids, regenerative medicine, pancreas regeneration and pancreatic cancer, pancreas development and epigenetics.
- Professional experience of 4 years in an international research center
Education and training
- Sc. in Life Sciences (Medicine, Pharmacy, Biology, Biotechnology, etc.)
- PhD in Life Sciences, obtained not after 2015
- Animal manipulation and experimentation certificate
- Animal models: mouse and zebrafish
- Organoids from mouse and human pancreatic samples
- Single cell RNA-SEQ
- Drug screens
- Good command of the English language
We will value, but not required
- Capacity of obtaining national or international grants.
- Nº of positions: One
- Start date: may 2021
- Contract duration: Temporary and part time contract.
- Estimated annual gross salary: salary is commensurate with qualifications and consistent with our pay ranges
We provide a highly stimulating working environment with state-of-the-art infrastructures, and unique professional development opportunities.
IDIBELL is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the implementation of open, transparent and merit-based recruitment (OTM-R) practices.
We offer and promote diverse and inclusive working conditions and applicants are made free from any discrimination based on age, national original, gender, religion, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity.
We are committed to reconciliation of work and family life such as employees can benefit from flexible working hours.
All applications must include the following:
- A motivation letter addressed to email@example.com
- A CV including contact information
- Pre-selection: The pre-selection process will consist on an eligibility check based on qualifications and expertise reflected on the candidate’s CV.
- Interview: Best positioned, pre-selected candidates may be called to arrange an interview. Candidates will be interviewed by the hiring manager and an ad hoc selection panel.
- Formal offer letter: Once identified, the People Management Unit will send a job offer to the successful candidate indicating start date, salary, working conditions, and any additional relevant details.
Deadline: Please submit your application by 10 May 2021.
Data protection notice
IDIBELL ensures that applicants’ personal data are processed as required by the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Spanish Law 3/2018 on Data Protection. Personal data is processed solely for the purpose of the selection procedure.
The ‘HR Excellence in Research’ award represents IDIBELL’s commitment to the implementation of Human Resources policies, which oversee the attracting and development of talent in an open, transparent, and based on personal merit, in alignment with the principles of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment Researchers (Charter and Code).